Pupils across England, Wales and Northern Ireland received their A level results today and overall, pass levels have fallen slightly but top A and A* grades are up. A-level entry numbers remained stable, whilst the number of AS-level entries dropped significantly. Find out more about trends in entry level numbers here.
What else can we learn from results day?
- The percentage of entries awarded the top A* or A is 26.3%, an increase on last year
- Mathematics remains the most popular A level subject, followed by combined English (literature and language)
- The proportion of all entries in science, technology, engineering and technology (STEM) has increased
- There are more female entries in chemistry than males for the first time since 2004
- The number of entries to facilitating subjects has increased, including in mathematics, further mathematics, geography and physics
- The proportion of A* to A grades awarded in French, German and Spanish all increased
- The percentage of entries awarded the top grade at AS level has increased to 23.8%
Visit the DfE website for more information.